Long-acting contraception can provide a safe and effective method of contraception.
There are two different types of coil:
- One which contains hormones (an intrauterine system, or an IUS for short)
- And one which does not contain hormones (an intra-uterine device, or IUD for short)
The hormonal coil (IUS) can be used for contraception and also as part of hormone replacement therapy.
The non-hormonal coil (IUD) can only be used for contraception.
The NHS UK and sexwise website contain more information about the differences between the non-hormonal and hormonal coils.
If you are considering using a coil or would like to have a current coil replaced or removed then please:
- Read through this information
- Watch the video on the relevant procedure
- Carefully read through the consent form (above). No need to print as we will have a copy for you at your appointment
- Use the link above to complete our online form