Instructions for use
1) Mifepristone taken initially by mouth 600 mg (Causes the placenta to separate from the endometrium & softens the cervix)
2) Between 36-48 hours take Misoprostol 400 micrograms by mouth, (causes uterine contractions to allow your body to pass the contents)
This will result in a miscarriage like bleeding. Give the patient clear safety netting on severity of bleeding and when so seek further assistance. Request the patient contact us in 2 weeks to ensure bleeding stopped and result of repeat pregnancy test.
The medications used in a medical abortion cause vaginal bleeding and abdominal cramping. They may also cause:
After the procedure
Signs and symptoms that may require medical attention after a medical abortion include:
Heavy bleeding - soaking two or more pads an hour for two hours
Severe abdominal or back pain
Fever lasting more than 24 hours
Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
Medical abortion aftercare leaflet:
Pleaase call back in 14 days via telephone to ensure vaginal bleeding has stopped and do a repeat pregnancy test and checked your symptoms against the 'self-assessment' checklist to ensure the treatment has worked.
The patient is asked to contact CLMP if they experience any of the following signs that their treatment has not worked:
- I did not bleed within 24 hours of taking misoprostol tablets
- I had less than 4 days of bleeding
- By the end of week 1, I still ‘feel’ pregnant or have symptoms of pregnancy such as sore breasts, sickness, tummy growing, etc.
- 3 weeks after treatment, I performed the urine pregnancy test (using the first urine passed when I woke) and the test was positive, invalid, or I was not sure of the result
- My next period has not come by 4 weeks after treatment (even if the pregnancy test was negative)