- Sounds like a spell from the world of Harry Potter. However, means soft contagious lesion in latin.
- Caused by a viral infection of the skin
- Can occur at any age but predominantly found in children
- Generally harmless and resolves with NO treatment over a period of months. This process is slow and can take up to 18 months.
- They commonly spread from a few isolated lesions to around a dozen
Is there a treatment?
- No treatment is necessary unless they become infected by a bacterial infection. This usually occurs if the individual squeezes or scratches the lesions. Signs of bacterial infection include redness, swelling or pain. If this occurs please seek further assistance.
- Do NOT squeeze the lesions as this can increase the chance of spread and result in scarring
Is it contagious?
- It can be spread but the risk of this occuring is minimal during normal activities.
- It's not necessary to stay away from work, school or nursery, or to stop doing activities such as swimming if you have MC.
Image from Evanherk https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum#/media/File:Mollusca1klein.jpg