Long-acting contraception can provide a safe and effective method of contraception.
There are two different types of coil:
· One which contains hormones (an intrauterine system, or an IUS for short)
· And one which does not contain hormones (an intra-uterine device, or IUD for short)
The hormonal coil (IUS) can be used for contraception and also as part of hormone replacement therapy.
The non-hormonal coil (IUD) can only be used for contraception.
The NHS choices and sexwise website contain more information about the differences between the non-hormonal and hormonal coils.
If you are considering using a coil or would like to have a current coil replaced or removed then please:
· Read through this information
· Watch the video on the relevant procedure
· Carefully read through the consent form (above)